Module 6 - Social Media Policies

This week, I was tasked with creating some social media policies for my classroom. I examined many documents from within my school's district to see what kind of things can guide the development of these policies. There are many policies in place about responsible use in my district, but I feel that their social media expectations are lacking. Therefore, I have gathered some of the things they are saying in their documents and compiled ten policies that will shape how social media will be used in my classroom. Pending feedback from learners, parents, community members, and teachers, these will at the very least be a great start to scaffolding social network learning in my classroom.

I learned a lot in this process, as far as what is out there, and what sort of implications policies like this may have. Among the many somewhat-disorganized documents, I found that my favorite related to the statement of values for the district. This document truly should be the foundation of every learning environment. Values are important at any level, and many of these values shaped these policies.

I was somewhat unsure about how to get feedback from the community, I know that many of these pieces of feedback will come from observation and face-to-face meeting. However, I created a Google form, which I hope asks the questions required to help shape this policy. There really is no perfect solution, which I find to be quite relevant to the "social" part of social media. There will always be social issues out there, and being ever more connected seems to highlight some of these issues more than others.

Comments

Popular Posts