PLE diagram reflection and comparison

Self-reflection:
Creating my PLE image was somewhat challenging, I struggled with concepts of organization and design that I hope I eventually figured out. The four Cs model that the article in the resources talked about was the one I identified with most. However, I did not feel that the tools and apps here were pigeonholed into one role. Many of these things can do all four. For example, a Google doc can easily be converted into a hyper doc that has a collection, place to communicate and collaborate, all the while creating something new. 

I decided to make the image in Google drawings, and draw the images from Google itself. As the majority of the iconic representations are from Google anyway, it was easy to get them there. I attempted to change the size of the icons based on importance to me. I use Gmail, Twitter, drive, slides, and docs every single day. They are larger because of that. 

I learned that I rely heavily upon the concept of EdTech being a global topic. This is represented by our original PLE, planet Earth.  The location of icons is important, but was again, difficult for me to place in a reasonable pattern. Google Drive is right in the middle because for me it acts most truly as a connector of all four Cs.

Comparisons:
Her image is set up like a connect four board, and also uses the same model (mostly) that I went with for my diagram. She did change the language on two of the categories, but they still do the job of the tools represented. I feel that her image is much more organized and of greater importance than mine. I like the way that hers seems to flow from top to bottom, which isn't exactly how connect 4 works. At the same time, the image allows the tools to speak for themselves. If you were to choose four of her tools at random, there would be an excellent publishing opportunity. Kathleen included Google as a collecting tool, while I chose Google as the majority of my tools. I use Google every day in my classroom because that is what our district has provided. 

Another four C model diagram. This one is very organized, and uses the same language as the original article with models stated. In addition to the icons, she included words that describe the functions of these applications. The verbs provided are very telling of what each one does, I should have included words with mine too, as I don't think size and positioning are clear enough. I find it interesting that I placed Facebook squarely within communication, while Allison has placed it in collaboration.

Excellent use of the Bitmoji to personalize the diagram. I love this image because it has three parts to the model, rather than the four I have been thinking of. Michelle nailed this assignment. It seems that the four Cs are still present, regardless of there only being three areas within the image. They all contribute to the success of the educator, which is like Michelle says, genius. My image seems lackluster in comparison to this one.

This image was also created in Google drawings. I love the conciseness of this image. It categorizes the different tools/communities and places them in the words that they represent. Curate, share, connect. Simple, yet effective. I believe that even this image has more power to represent a PLE than mine. 

I appreciated Lindsey's image greatly. The concept of being connected in a region is a strong and important one. Her diagram shows a lot more skill than mine, and the model that this is based upon is more complex than the one I chose. This is a great way to capture the essence of what these tools and communities do for us as we go about teaching and learning. 

A great concept image, as the teamwork between the world-famous pizza-eating Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, is a huge aspect of what PLEs do and stand for. We have to work as a team to allow any of these tools to be of use to our goals. Excellently worked out. I am a big fan of this diagram, it speaks to me more than my own. The inherent team chemistry contributed by each turtle pairs well with the online communities and tools. 

Comments

Popular Posts