Module 6: Social Media in Learning Research


This module was challenging, but I feel it has led to a growth in my understanding of how to use these amazing tools in my classroom, nearly whenever my students might be interested. I was not really happy about most of the search results on my favorite websites turning up as lists. Really, I'm over the trends like this in most online media... 10 best ways to... 10 reasons... 3 ideas.... 5 things you can't miss...

I found it slightly difficult to find things that weren't just giant lists of ideas on how social media could potentially be used in a classroom. Readwritethink.org was a huge contributor to this process, as many of the resources they curate are directly used, or have been used in a classroom. They are replete with excellent resources, ideas, and even online templates/generators.

Overall, I found a lot of really awesome ideas that can be used on a whim in the classroom. Many of them can be supplemental or extension activities, and many can be complete projects if planned correctly. Project-based learning and social media go very nicely together, and I hope to use more tools in the ever expanding social media universe.

Many of the sample plans/projects that I saw throughout this research were using the social media as a motivator for students. Students are already using it, some are very good at it, and some could still (regardless of access) care less. So, my hope is that when using excellent tools inside of these plans I will be able to pair the tools with excellent and engaging content. Students need to be motivated from all factors, but maybe sometimes just one or two factors are all it takes.

An idea that I really want to complete this year is that of the great American mail race. It teaches letter writing, and can potentially get a whole classrooms full of students writing across the country. It allows students to make friends, and more importantly teachers to interact with colleagues all the while teaching the writing process. Adding social media to this project that I already do is inspiring, and quite exciting. I almost had it going this last school year.


Social media projects and ideas, by therealmrhaines

Comments

Popular Posts